Re: After Market Hoods (Engine)

To: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>,
Subject: Re: After Market Hoods (Engine)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:40:27 -0700
Bonnet-popping is not unusual (although disturbing as a habit). I have a
few questions, though.

1. has your (presumed aluminum) bonnet been creased or flexed by having
popped completely open when under way? If so, it's pretty much hopeless
(as you seem to have determined). If it's not creased, however, it may be
salvageable.

2. One factor in bonnet-popping that I have heard mentioned is the
presence or absence of the "hood buffers" (Moss 282-600). These are the
rectangular rubber stops that sit in the groove on the wing into which
the edge of the bonnet fits. As well as preventing rattles, they serve to
restrict left-to-right movement of the bonnet. I have been told that the
absence of these items (particularly the forward pair) allows the bonnet
to move side-to-side in such a way that the catch releases.

3. by "the obvious" I assume you mean you've tried adjusting the catch.
But, given that you've tried all possible adjustments, and assuming your
bonnet is not "sprung", I am not sure that a new bonnet would perform any
better. It might be cheaper to invest in the leather "rally" hold-down
straps or hood lock pins. But you may not care for the looks or the extra
hassle.

4. as far as fit is concerned, I have an older (6 coats of paint, at
least) steel bonnet I bought used, and it looks as if it is at least 3/4
inch too narrow, judging by the gaps along the wings. This may be due to
poor wing fitting from a previous (prehistoric) accident, however.

I currently have a bungie cord as a bonnet securing device (since the SUV
incident), but I can't really recommend it.

Hope some of this is helpful...

Dennis Berman had this to say:

--

Max Heim