Rear tube shocks

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear tube shocks
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:44:31 -0500
        Like a lot of other people on this list, I just did the rear tube
shock conversion on my son's '74 B. I used the Gabriel VST gas shocks (after
several cross-reference battles in more than one parts store. A week later,
I have a few questions:

        1) I have the Bentley and Haynes manuals. They are very similar in
one tragic respect - very few torque values given for any fasteners. I'm
particularly interested in how tight the shackle bolts and rear u-bolts
should be. FWIW, I changed the stock bushings out for Nylatron during the
reassembly.

        2) These babies are stiff - very stiff. Teeth-rattling stiff. One of
the reasons for the above question is that I think I may have things cinched
up too tight.  One of things that makes me think so is that when bouncing
the back corners of the car, the right side is not as stiff as the left.

        3)In the event that I haven't botched something, has anyone tried a
regular hydraulic shock instead of the gas ones?

                                                -- Dan --