Re: Oil/Water gauge

To: "Hicks, Stephen" <SHicks@northatlantic.nf.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil/Water gauge
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:47:34 -0400
Steve Hicks wrote:
> I have a 65 MGB with the round oil/water temp gauge. The oil portion of
the
> gauge has the needle stuck at 35 psi. I think the needle is stuck against
> the bezel of the gauge. Has anyone ever taken these gauges apart? Will
they
> come apart?

The chrome bezel has little tabs around the back edge that can be carefully
eased out with a flat screwdriver blade just enought to allow the ring to
rotate to open gaps in the flange. This will allow the glass and ring and
sealing ring to be removed. This done you will have access to carefully bend
the needle back where it should be. Then just reinstall glass, ring and
chrome bezel.

> This past weekend I found a used gauge. It however has the temp. bulb cut
> off.  Someone told me the bulb was filled with fluid
> ( alcohol) and that it is not repairable. Can anyone verify this?
> If there is a means to repair, what does it involve? I was hoping to make
> one good one from the two. I believe a new one is around 280.00 CDN
dollars,
> so you can understand my dilemma.

>From what I understand, the bulb and capillary tube are charged with ether,
which when warmed, expands and activates the gauge.
They can be rebuilt, but $280.CDN seems very excessive. Expect to pay
$150.CDN or so for a rebuild.
You can possibly get a small credit for turning in the old core. Alfa
Instruments and Marine Services, 4801 Keele St. Unit 37, Downsview, Ont. M3J
3A4 or phone # 416-736-4267 can do this service.
Rich Chrysler

.