Re: Oil Capacity of a 69 MGB Engine

To: FlynShoot@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Capacity of a 69 MGB Engine
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 03:41:31 -0400
FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:

> Ok, I wrote yesterday describing a problem I was having w/oil pressure.
> Today, I drained the oil and replaced it w/ 20W50. I used 5 qts, pulled the
> dipstick and it was dry. I put in another quart and the level came up to the
> tip of the dipstick. This is very strange since my previous engine only took
> 4.5 qts. I expected this new engine to take a little more due to the new oil
> cooler, but more than 1 quart seems a bit high.

  Is there any chance the dipstick is from a different engine?

  There are (at least) two types of MGB dipsticks, and they differ
in length. Pretty scary way to be different, considering the
consequences.

  My 1970 MGB had the wrong dipstick. When I put 4 quarts in,
the dipstick would read *VERY* overfull, as if I put a dozen
bottles or so in.

  This was actually somewhat dangerous, because if you relied
on the markings blindly, you would run the engine with a cup
of oil, likely a short and expensive run.

  You might possibly have the opposite situation, where the dipstick
is too short to even hit the surface of the oil?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca