Re: Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Someone Buy This Guy a Torque Wrench!
From: Matt Pringle <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:15:11 -0400
I have both 3/8" drive (0-450 in*lbs) and 1/2" drive (0-150 ft*lbs)
"click" style torque wrenches.  The only problem I've ever had is when I
tried to use the larger wrench at the low end of the scale, like 25
ft*lbs (I don't think it's well calibrated down there).  That's when I
decided to buy the smaller one to compliment the larger.  A good wrench
should have instructions on how to use it.  It is important that the
applicaiton of torque be smooth and that you apply load only on the
handle.

It's also important that the fastener be well lubricated otherwise there
won't be any correlation between torque and fastener pre-load which is
really what we're after.  I may be getting too technical but it may be
important that the fastener and the part being fastened be at the same
temp. too.

Concerning calibration.  It should be fairly straight forward to set up
some kind of bar with a weight hung off of it at a measured distance,
screw a bolt into a hole in the end which serves as a pivot, torque it
until the wrench is supporting the weight and see if it clicks or not.

Matt