RE: leaky front float/exhaust questions.

To: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: RE: leaky front float/exhaust questions.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:19:09 -0700
Tyson:

        The float bowl gasket is only there to prevent fuel from slopping
out under severe situations.  Under normal driving the fuel should be no
where near the gasket level.  No sealant is ever necessary.  It sounds like
you have a float level problem.  Either the inlet valve is not sealing, or
the float is sinking.  Too high a fuel pressure will cause inlet valve
leakage.  If you have an aftermarket pump, this is likely the problem.  A
regulator is one way to go, but after years of using them I would suggest
using the correct pressure pump.  One less thing to fail.

        Early cars vent the float bowls to atmosphere, later ones to the
carbon canninster.  The late cars can have float problems that don't get
obvious until the cannister floods with fuel.  Some seepage at the float
cover is the first symptom.

        As for the exhaust.  Have someone else drive the car, then listen.
Sometimes the car sounds great to others, and too quiet for the driver.  The
turn down exhaust will be quieter.  Clamping on a twin tip tailpipe often
makes a nice difference to the sound.

Kelvin.