Re: SU Fuel pump thread

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: SU Fuel pump thread
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:00:54 +0100
Let me offer two words (OK, points) of caution on these Hall-effect pumps:

1.  The Hall-effect transistor has no track-record in this application.

2.  If the Hall-effect transistor fails you are stuffed.  No tapping the
pump body with a long-handled screwdriver as you drive along, no cleaning
the points at the roadside, no swapping the Hall-effect transistor for
standard points.  Although presumably if you bought the Hall-effect unit for
your existing, points-style, pump, you would be able to swap that back..

I bought my V8 nearly five years ago with a Hall-effect pump.  It's not a
home-made mod - it's too good - it looks like a factory job.  It started
playing up a few weeks ago - audibly weak pumping and fuel starvation.  I
managed to complete my journey and spent some time checking over the pump.
I am fortunate in that the electrics end of the pump is in the spare-wheel
space so could observe its action while pumping into a bottle.  I could see
no obvious mechanical problems but every third or fourth pump it would
either skip one or start fluttering rather than give a full-stroke pump.
After several minutes of this it suddenly started working properly again,
and has since, but needless to say my confidence in it is now weakened - so
much so that I now carry a reconditioned points-type pump in the car.

Regarding the fluttering, it is interesting to note that the original points
design on the MGB also suffered from fluttering, and the later design
incorporates more hysteresis (i.e. the diaphragm has to move further in each
direction before the points switch over).  I wonder how much hysteresis a
Hall-effect transistor has?

Personally, I would far rather have a transistor-assisted system, i.e. where
the original points switch a transistor, but can easily be switch back to
operating the pump directly if the transistor should fail.

PaulH.
MG Cars Webring MG Site of the Month - September '99
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)