Re: 3 bearing vs. 5 bearing MGB?

To: "Mark Davidson" <mrdavidson@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: 3 bearing vs. 5 bearing MGB?
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:48:26 +1000
Mark,

> I have a '67 5 main B, and a 58 MGA with a 3 main MGB (1800) motor.  I
have
> found that the 3 main is a bit more free revving, so it feels like it has
more
> power.  The early 3 main B motors did have problems (first 1/2 year
production

I second this, the three main definitely revs better. My B feels positively
sluggish in comparison, largely due I think to the worst years combo of
heavy rods, god knows how many ring pistons etc etc. My A *feels* faster
than my B, and it's definitely more responsive. If I had a choice of a B, I
would go for the three main unit!! Probably not a popular opinion (and maybe
quite stupid, considering I just bought a 7 main C!!! lol!) but what the
heck ;). I don't notice much of a difference in smoothness either between
the A and B at high revs, however I'm sure the 5 main is much more durable.
I have had a cracked crankshaft in my 1600.

I say go for it, you won't regret it!

Cheers,
Neil.