RE: Window winding

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Window winding
From: jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:27:05 +0200

        From Paul Hunt
> You may find the channel strips are damaged, or the mechanism is stiff.
> Wind the window part-way down, grasp the top edge of the glass and see if
> you can pull it up, you should be able to an inch or so.  If this is stiff
> then it looks like the channels.  With the window still open and the glass
> manually pulled up as far as it will go, turn the handle to close the
> window.  If the handle is stiff while it is taking up the slack then the
> mechanism is stiff.  If the handle moves easily till it starts to move the
> glass, then it is channels.  Could be both, of course.  The adjustment
> referred to is top and bottom stops, not stiffness.  Getting the mechanism
> (the regulator) out of the door is a bit of a Houdini job.  As I recall,
> you
> have to undo all the screws, then while it is still inside the door fold
> it
> up on itself, it will then come out of the aperture.

         ------- Good lad for tackling it before you break the winder.
---------------

         Ehhhh....../sorry
        Since the first broke, and I have converted to chrome winder, I plan
to do this before the second winder breaks
        PS.
        I tried to wind the window part-way down, and then lift the window.
Using 'moderate' force I could not lift it.
        Does this mean new channels, which I have heard is sheer joy to
replace ?  :-). Or is there an easier way
        Jon
        1970 B' GT