Re: Rear axle hub bearings

To: "Oster, Chris" <coster@faidor.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle hub bearings
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:53:07
At 04:07 PM 10/4/99 -0500, Chris Oster wrote:
>I need to replace the oil seal on my rear, banjo type, axle. The problem
is in removing the bearing that is in front of the seal. How do you get the
bearing and or the seal out? I assume that you align the notches in the
races to remove the balls of the bearing. ....

STOP RIGHT THERE!  Do not attempt to disassemble the ball bearing by
removing the balls.  Ball bearings are not designed to be disassembled.
You need to remove the bearing from the hub without breaking the bearing.

The good news is that I have a nice picture tour of the process on line.
This was derived from working on an MGA, but the MGA axle is nearly
identical to the MGB banjo axle around the wheel hubs.  Go here and have a
look:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/rearaxle/ra101.htm

Good luck,

Barney Gaylord