BGT choke

Subject: BGT choke
From: barivera@uswest.net
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:40:25 -0700
Hello MG List!
I've been enjoying and learning from your posts for about a
month and this is my first...

Yesterday I was helping my Mother. Her  '71 BGT has only
been started once in the past seven to nine years. That once
was last week. I'm guessing bad/old fuel (Please note I'm
not brash enough to say 'petrol' or stupid enough to say
'gasoline.') Anyhow, while I was tinkering, I noticed that
the manual choke would only pull out about three-quarters of
an inch.

Is that normal?

My Mom said it used to come out further until a bad mechanic
tinkered with it. However, I have my doubts. This car is so
modern and precise, I can see the short pull being correct.

It's not life or death -I'm able to push it (Manually)
around until it starts. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Brad Rivera
Spokane, WA. USA
'55 MG TF-1500