RE: Roller throw out bearing

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Roller throw out bearing
From: Scott Hower <howersl@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:38:02 -0700 (PDT)
Larry,

Doug Jackson has this to say on roller release
bearings:

 http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb2.htm

(link stolen from Paul Hunt's excellent spanner pages)

In short, they are doomed to failure unless a pull
back kit is also installed.  This gadget ensures a
bit of clearance where the bearing face contacts the
clutch cover. Doug recommends fitting these to all
MGA/MGBs.

Even then, I wouldn't fit a roller bearing: seems to
me that the bearing and the clutch disk were
engineered
to 'perish' at roughly equal rates rate.  Extending
the bearing life at the expense of the clutch disk
sounds like a recipe for a scored flywheel to me.

Or maybe not :-)

--Scott

=====
Scott Hower -> howersl@yahoo.com