Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?

To: "Chris Velardi" <tchris@freewwweb.com>,
Subject: Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:26:42 -0000
When the ignition is off but the engine is still spinning it is sucking in
exactly the same fuel/air mixture as it was before.  If conditions inside
the combustion chamber allow i.e. glowing carbon or shards of metal, this
mixture will continue to be ignited, albeit irregularly giving the typical
shuddering, until the incoming mixture has cooled the combustion chamber
sufficiently.  Tming affects Dieseing because it affect running
temperature - either too retarded or too advanced will cause higher
temperatures inside the combustion chamber.  Hence timing affects Dieseling.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)