Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?

To: Chris Velardi <tchris@freewwweb.com>
Subject: Re: What causes "shutoff shudder"?
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:41:42 +0000

Chris Velardi wrote:
SNIP
 The only way I could shut it off with out the damaging dieseling
(engine
> actually running backwards) was to put it in first and drop the clutch and
> shut the key off at the same time.

Hi, Chris & everyone else.

Rex, my '72 Special Tuning BGT, runs on like crazy. The PO (not DPO,
he's my pal), used to stall the motor with the clutch, which is probably
why the UJs are goosed. I use the much more elegant solution of flooring
the throttle on switch off. However, if I need to start up within a
minute or so, there is a specatcular backfire.

It's quite good fun watching people diving for cover when this happens
but it looks like a waste of fuel to me. Equally, the fuel drawn in is
probably doing the bores no good.

I'll probably fit a valve but the PPO used to use N7Y plugs instead of
N9Y. Rex is currently on BP6ES plugs so, has anybody got any
exeprience/recommendations re running colder plugs.

Thanks in advance

Dave Hill
York, UK