Re: Ghost in the Machine (part deux)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ghost in the Machine (part deux)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:40:49 -0800
That's a good one. Sounds like one of those situations someone else
mentioned awhile back where in the absence of a good ground some
component is tracing back a circuit through another part of the harness,
thus inadvertently and intermittently powering up or shorting out
something that wasn't supposed to be (does that make sense?).

Anyway, first, I'd look at the radio wiring hookup. Where does it pull
its power, and where is the ground attached? On my earlier B the horn is
"always on", but the radio is on the other fuse that is "ignition on". If
that is the case with yours then there shouldn't be any connection -- but
there obviously is. If it's an aftermarket installation who knows where
it might be connected.

Do you have speakers in the doors? If so, you might want to check if the
wires are chafing where they go from the body to the doors.

Then you might want to trace the horn circuit to ensure that some DPO
hasn't made any unauthorized modifications, power taps, etc.

Despite the fact that the harness is a mess with all sorts of jumpers,
splices, and additions (alternator, negative ground, OD, stereo) I
actually have all the electrics working on my '66. I know your later
model is more complex but it should be sort-outable (new word?) given
patience.

Good luck.

Tab Julius had this to say:

--