Re: High RPMs bad?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High RPMs bad?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:40:34 -0800
I can't really think that high RPMs are that bad in themselves. After
all, the engine was designed for it! Besides the obvious fact that every
stroke of a piston creates an infinitesimal additional increment of wear,
I suspect that most wear is caused during start-up and cold running.
Think about it -- high RPMs are when you have the best oil pressure -- at
start-up you have none for a few seconds. I remember averaging 85 mph on
road trips in the Central Valley of CA, before I had my overdrive. That
sustained high RPM didn't seem to cause any problems, although in
retrospect I don't see how I could stand the noise, vibration, etc! You
should also consider the power curve of the engine -- it really doesn't
come on below 3000 RPM, anyway.

So anyway, the main arguments for OD are noise reduction and improved
fuel mileage, with wear & tear a distant third, I should think.

As for 5 speeds, I think I recall an earlier discussion in which someone
described a Nissan 5-speed conversion. In this installation, 5th was
equivalent to 4th on the stock gearbox, and 1st was too low to be useful
-- not much of an improvement, eh? I would think that in general
installing an MG OD gearbox would be far less hassle (BTDT -- and $$$)
than converting to some kind of "foreign" 5-speed, and would give
equivalent or better results.

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.

Tab Julius had this to say:

--