RE: High RPMs Bad?

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: RE: High RPMs Bad?
From: "Gordon Bird" <gobird@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:00:32 -0500
The tach on my A has a 'yellow' line at 5500 rpm and the redline at 6000.  I
do have the original tach in place.
Gordie Bird

**>Deal List:
**>
**>This whole discussion makes one wonder about the meaning of the
**>redline is,
**>anyway.  I assume it represented the point at which the cooling
**>system could
**>no longer dissipate heat at the rate that the engine produces
**>it.  However,
**>in going through boxes and piles of used guages at different LBC
**>events, it
**>seemed that they all pretty much had the same redline at about
**>5500.  Every
**>single one had the same redline, although the tachs were
**>allegedly for all
**>sorts of different marques with widely varying engines.
**>
**>I now suspect that the tachometer backgrounds were all printed
**>by the same
**>printer at the same time by Smiths, and BMC just ordered them all.  Thus
**>regardles of where the engine should top out, all MG's seem to have about
**>the same redline.  (They didn't alter the tach on cars with an
**>oil cooler,
**>did they?)
**>
**>Regards,