Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!

To: oldcars@newt.vallnet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!
From: SpuriousV8@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 06:20:52 EST
Hey BOB:
               So your trip was kind of wasted, eh !!!!  What was the asking
price for this beautiful specimen of an MGB GT?
               Well, from What I have read in your email, the car sucks in
your eyes. So, were there any other good points to this car? (Besides the
tires and paint job) Has this car been sitting, or is the present owner
driving it every day?
                I have made many trips to look at cars. Every trip is unique
too. I have found them in so many different states of disrepair. I have very
seldom ever had the owners description own up to what I find sitting in the
driveway/garage/under that tree in the backyard. I have only had two that
really scared me, one was a 1964 B, which did have, some paint on it, under
the emblems maybe, it had one side rail sitting on the ground which explained
why the engine was kind of crooked in the engine bay. And there was no way I
could open the passenger side door, it was the only thing holding the car
from folding up on the spot. But it was supposed to have, a rebuilt engine,
10 years ago, new interior from about the same time, a hard top, but the
windows were broken out of it. This guy thought he had a real gem there and
want the price of one too.
            The other car, a 1971 MGB, which the guy insisted I take for a
ride, though I declined, had more paint on it, spray cans I think, and he
said "Don't worry about that rust down there on both sides of the car,
(Rockers & Doglegs) I just sand them down, and add more BONDO every year,
this car is strong as hell afterwards" Now, both these cars, the Hand brakes
did work, but most don't that I have looked at.
                I never drive a car after I buy it till I replace everything
hydraulic on it anyway. All the brake pads, hoses. And , I do install a new
handbrake cable, as most of these cars I have run across still carry the
original equipment (all on my replace this list). Anyone for original MG
Parts, slightly used, only 20-30 years on the car, like new!
                As for the seats, are they ever nice unless you buy a
Concours car or one that some poor slob spent every penny he had on it, and
then his wife makes him sell it? (I find a nice Pontiac Feiro and steal it's
seats as I like them better to hold my fat butt in place as I drive my cars
hard and fast. I never have liked MG Seats anyway) I just assume, any car I
look at, NEEDS WORK. So I try to enjoy the ride there and back, I have gone
your route, called on the phone, get this rosy picture in my head, WOW< I am
getting a steal, till I get there, and realize who is going to rob who. If it
turns out to be this kind of car, I shake the guys hand, say have a nice day,
"Your car is really nice [cough,gag]" and drive away before my heart tries to
make me SAVE it instead of run from it as fast as I can.

Safety Faster
Jim Brucato,,,,,,,,never to shovel snow again, now able to drive my
        B's year round and not worry about needing heat.
1980 MGB V8 ,,,,enjoying the warmth of Florida this very moment
1964 MGB ,,,,  going on a trailer, the first time in it's life, to be a
            trailer queen for 1200 miles, so it can go warm it's
    rusty body in Sunny South Florida.