Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!

To: SpuriousV8@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!
From: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:17:13 -0600 (EST)
I am going to try to reply to all comments about the trip in this one
e-mail but will probably fail so sorry if I have left any one out.

THe guy was asking $2100 for the car.  It looked great from a distance and
the body even looked great up close.  I guess the problem was that I was
lead to believe that hte car was great mechanically which of course it
wasn't.  The clutch may be an adjustment problem (never have adjusted a MG
clutch so not sure - just seemed like it from my experience with other
cars), the engine problem was probably related to this and may not have
let it warm up as well as I shoudl have.  Thos ethings aside I guess I
felt more lied to than anything which of course made em dislike the car
upon initial viewing.

THe body fo the car seemed fine although I did nto check around the hatch
since I had already dismissed the car by then.  I guess if the seat had at
least had some material on them I would not have been as upset but to be
told the interior only needed a dash pad when in fact it needed an
interior, I was no amused.

The brakes is a non-issue as in reality, from past experience, it seems
they need to be bleed more than anything - but of course if it is leaking
air in the system, they will need a rebuild.  As I todl my wife this
morning - if the car had run well and all, I could have lived with the
fact that I would have to replace the interior becasue I had already
figured I woudl have to paint the car based on his description of the
paint (although as I mentioned, the paint adn body were presentable and I
would not have done anything to it).

The guy said his low dollar was $1800 and that he woudl not go any lower.
Maybe the car is worht that but on the other hand if I am going to have to
spend another $2K to get it where I want it, then I had jsut as soon spend
the $4K now and get a car that I can start enjoying.  I don't mind a
project car but I already have one so I don't want another one for awhile.

Guess I will just keep lookign unless someone can convince me that I
should go ahead and pay $1800 for this car with all of it's problems - by
the way - good luck doign that :- )

Bob

79 MGB
77 Midget