RE: MGB Door Crack

To: Steve Murphy <k8vo@flyingbeers.org>
Subject: RE: MGB Door Crack
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:49:08 -0800
Steve:

        This is what I am doing, I have 79 shell with a similar problem.  1.
Drill the very bottom of the crack (1/8" bit) to prevent further
propagation.  Carefully align the edges of the crack, then butt weld with a
MIG from the bottom to the top.  At the very top of the crack, build up a
ridge of weld on the inside of the door skin.  Carefully file this ridge so
that there is a smooth transition from the rolled top of the skin to the
quarter light support platform.
        If you take a look at the top of the crack, you will normally see
that it starts at the sharp transition at the edge of the rolled top.
Removing this stress riser, and strengthening this area will prevent
reoccurrence.

        The cracking is caused by excess stress on the sharp transition
between the flexible rolled top edge and the rigid vent window platform.
The stress is produced by the vent window assembly sealing against the
windshield.  The crack can also be caused by sitting on, or leaning against
the top of the door with the window rolled down.  Correcting a misaligned
vent window will reduce the stress on the door, but the cracking appears to
be a normal result of a manufacturing defect.

Kelvin.