Original MGB costs through the years...?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Original MGB costs through the years...?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:54:02
Just wondering,

What were the original sale prices for MGs during the year of their
manufacturer (roughly), and how did they compare to other cars on the
market?  Would they have been the modern day price equivalent of a Kia, a
Miata, or a BMW Z3?

Unfortunately, in 1980, the last year of manufacture, I think I was driving
a '72 VW bug (another story in itself), and didn't quite have the
wherewithal to contemplate buying a new MG, so I never really was cognizant
of the prices.

Thanks

- Tab