RE: Original MGB costs through the years...?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Original MGB costs through the years...?
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:38:58 -0600
> It kind of felt good to drive off in my 74 Austin Marina,
> that I bought for
> $2500 with 10,000 miles on it.  The Marina got me through
> college and into
> many a TSD rally.  Very good value for money for a kid who
> lusted after
> British cars, but needed a winterized, load carrying vehicle.
>  My Fender
> Rhodes piano could be maneuvered into the back seat with a
> bit of grunting.

        Gotcha beat, Kelvin - I used to haul my single 18" bass guitar
cabinet in my VW beetle. After the beetle, I went through a hatchback or
two, then wound up with a Karmann Ghia. I hauled the cabinet around in the
Ghia for a few years until someone rear-ended the Ghia and totaled it (lucky
for me the cabinet wasn't in it at the time). I've now graduated to a '61 VW
bus, which hauls two single 18" PA sub cabinets, my two Ampeg bass guitar
cabinets, the power amp rack for the PA, the PA mixing console, two PA
horns, four PA monitor cabinets and my bass guitar. Total dead load is about
750-800 lbs. The bus will actually pull the load, but sitting on the
suspension stops leaves a lot to be desired - especially since the roads
around Dallas are somewhat less than "smooth".

Dan Pockrus
'61 VW bus (Van Haulin')
'74B stripped for paint