Re: Best source for MGA/B 6 V. batteries?/ 12v

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best source for MGA/B 6 V. batteries?/ 12v
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:50:05 -0400
Charley is absolutely right about that, and here in the southwest Virginia
mountains we've already seen overnight lows around 14-15 degrees. At those
temperatures, my Bs are tuned well enough to start easily on similar single
12-volt batteries.  My "double-12" suggestion would be directed at those
diminishing numbers of B owners who's cars must start in temperatures of 20
to 30 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit).  In crazier times I had to drive my
'71 GT to Minneapolis back in December of '90.  It was 24 degrees below
zero running all the way from Madison to Mpls.  The car had a single
12-volt battery of indeterminate age that would start the car fine down to
close to zero, but for several  -10 and -15 degree mornings up there, I had
to get a jump start.  Once I got the needed CCAs from AAA, it would start
very quickly despite the cold.

Allen

>From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
>
>  It was 26 degrees last night here in the TX hill counry. She fired up
>in a flash this morning on the single 12 volt 26R from AutoZone.  If the
>engine is tuned right and the proper starting procedures are followed,
>it starts.  If not, all the cranking in the world won't start it.  True
>of any car.
>
>  CR
>
>Florrie & Allen Bachelder wrote:
>>
>> I've been lurking on this thread so far, but now my question can no longer
>> be restrained.  I use a single 12-volt battery in my MGBs and although I
>> live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia where cranking power is only
>> occasionally significant, I'm originally from Minnesota where folks really
>> appreciate cranking power.   I keep thinking - why not use those two
>> battery boxes to house TWO  of these modern 12 volt batteries - wired in
>> parallel, mind you, so you'd still get but 12 volts, but I'd suspect with
>> awesome CCAs!  It might  involve a custom-designed battery terminal clamp
>> that would accommodate two battery cables.
>>
>> Anybody care to comment?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Allen

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<