RE: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Subject: RE: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:04:36 -0700
The 1968 thru 1975 non-overdrive cars were equipped with the
small diameter 1280 speedo, the OD cars were equipped with a
different small diameter speedometer (a 1040 I believe).  In
1976 the method of "calibration" changed.  Both OD and
non-OD cars were equipped with the same small diameter 1000
speedometers and the OD trans and the non-OD trans were
fitted with the appropriate pinion gear to push the 1000
speedometer.

In 1977 the speedometer changed to the large diameter size
and remained a 1000.  This setup continued through 1980.

In order to change a speedometer in a 1968-1975 car to match
the post 1974 OD you have to change the speedometer to the
one that came in a 1976 MGB.

This is all from memory (not researched) so fire away.

Larry Hoy