Re: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>, "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Subject: Re: Does the OD tranny require a shorter drive shaft?
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:46:21 -0500
A face change WOULD resolve the differences...
but with one each in hand ( a 1280 and a 1000) I can tell you...
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME INSIDE!
...now over the years there may have been variations in both
tranny speedo cable drive gears, and the speedo internals...
...which went together for which years? ...I have no idea.

I CAN say... my Primrose '73 GT had a 1280 in it with O/D tranny.
Was this config. original... I have no idea. Who knows what the PO had done.

When I swapped this tranny out to put it in my Blaze Red '73 GT which had a 1000
speedo in it, I did not change the speedo. Road tests with a friend beside me
on the highway
(remember...my Blaze GT does have cruise control)  at 70mph the best we can
figure
the 1000 speedo was reading correctly  +/- 1 MPH.

So... all I can think off...for all the variations I can SEE in the speedo
bodies, and yet
knowing the later years didn't require a speedo change for O/D and non O/D
Is it possible/probable that the right angle cable drive gears have something
to do with
the later cars not needing a change over?

Paul Tegler
OBie - '73 BGT - Daily Driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Rat -'80 Spitfire  - fledgling recently left the nest
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit80.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - finally home
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com