Re: Right-Rear noise

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Right-Rear noise
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:40:36 -0800
Tony Woodruff had this to say:

>Hello fellow LBC friends,
>
>Now that winter is here, and the hood is up on the 67 MGB I can hear
>noises that weren't audible with the top down!

Yeah, I have learned to ignore the majority of the noises that "suddenly"
appear when you put the top on. Usually they were there all the time, and
don't mean anything. After you get used to the "background" noise, then
you can pick out the anomalies. Sounds like you have done just that.

>Coming from the right rear is a sound that I can only describe as "oval".
>It sounds like, perhaps, the axle is moving just a little bit up and down
>as the car moves.  I may also be imagining that I feel some of that
>movement as I drive (hard to say as roads aren't perfectly smooth).

If it's only coming from one side, that kind of narrows it down to the
wheel, the wheel bearing, or the leaf spring, and the various attachments
and fasteners.

Some guesses as to things to check:
1. axle u-bolts
2. shock bolts
3. leaf spring shackles, and broken leaves
4. wheel bearing
5. (wire wheel) center nut tightness, broken spokes

Of these, the only ones capable of making a "continuous" noise would seem
to be 4, and possibly 5. The other ones would make "irregular" noises --
banging, clanking, thumping, rattling. The "movement" you describe (if it
isn't illusory) would seem to indicate the axle u-bolts.

The thing is, the direction of these sounds can be quite deceiving. For
example, the rear u-joint and the differential are both behind and to the
right of the driver. Have a passenger confirm the location.

>Is this noise/movement familiar to anyone?  Is the car going to fall
>apart?  Ideas for correcting (if necessary)?

Well, immediate, catastrophic failure seems unlikely. But you ought to
try to pin it down.

>TIA,
>
>Tony W
>67 MGB
>
>BTW:  My 1967 B-GT Parts car (almost completely stripped of parts) is
>being purchased by a fellow that wants the rolling body for a racing car.
>Electronic dash, Chevy V-6 engine, etc.  Well, it's better than the crusher!

OK, you got me -- what class of racing allows V-6 MGB-GTs? Demolition
racing? Electronic dash, forsooth!

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149