Re: Exhaust leak

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust leak
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:23:46 +1100
Barney,

> system, often on the iron exhaust manifold.  A leaky valve cover gasket
can
> dump oil on the manifold, more when running at road speed.  Leaky tappet
> covers can do the same, but usually only if leaking very badly.  There is

Eliminated these, my engine bay is very clean, no leaking gaskets up top.

> time), clean them well with solvent, apply thread sealant and reinstall
them.

All the studs are new, in fact everything on the head is new except the
valves which were just recut. I put sealant on the threads too. :)

> Loose valve guides or bad piston rings can allow oil into the combustion
> chamber and out into the exhaust.  During easy running this can coat the

The smoke is originating from under the carbs 4sure. Today I found oil
accumulating on the underside of the top pipe that wasn't there the day
before.. So I have found where the smoke is coming from. I still don't know
where it's originating tho. The tappet covers were installed with sealant
and new gaskets also. I'm really anal about that area of the car because I
know what a pain it is to do it all again. I am beginning to think it is oil
exiting the breather pipe and at high speed this is being pushed back onto
the exhaust. When I stopped the car last night and lifted the bonnet, a big
whoosh of white smoke came straight up, whereas the exhaust is clear. So I
don't think it's oil in the chambers, blow by sounds like the cause.

> underside of the car with oil, including the exhaust pipe which can then
> smoke when hot.  Smoke getting into the interior of the car indicates
leaks

Unfortunately I think this is the problem. How I'm not sure. The car had new
rings around 10,000mls ago (at least thats what my Dad said, same time it
split it's crank in half). BUT, that 10,000mls has taken 11yrs to achieve.
The car has sat a long, long time since then. Possible that the rings have
not seated?

> had a broken exhaust manifold, and that was accompanied by regular
backfire
> on overrun and occasional popping at constant throttle on the highway.

Apart from the very occasional crack from the exhaust running down a steep
hill there is no noise thats unusual and she runs beautifully. I think I
need an excuse to take those carbs off again and go hunting for oil leaks.
If no leaks, I may take Eric's advice and install a catch can. I figure if
it fills up, that tells me I have worn rings. No oil is apparent on the
plugs, what with the head just being fixed up, I really hate to think it's
the cyl head at fault (seals, guides). It was crack tested and vacumn
tested. BTW, this problem could have been around a long time, I haven't had
her up to 70mph for years - the steering shake didn't make life so
comfortable up there till now! <G>

Thanks again for the help! :)

Cheers,
Neil