Re: Exhaust leak

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust leak
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:41:15 -0800
Neil Cotty had this to say:

>I frightened myself today, because I got on my local motorway at approx 70mph
>and there was massive plumes of smoke coming out from behind the car. When I
>stopped smoke filled the interior!! I'm not seeing the smoke behind me until
>I get over 60mph. This is very bizarre.

Smoke??? Hopefully your engine is not in the habit of exuding smoke out
of the exhaust. This seems a very different problem from an exhaust leak.

>I'm beginning to wonder if the manifold is cracked somewhere. When I back
>off the accelerator, say going down a hill, I get a decent crack or two from
>the exhaust.

This is normal, as far as I know, for twin SU MGs. At least mine has
always done it.

>... but I still can't find the leak, all I can
>see is smoke. Is anyone out there an MGA pyschic????

I wonder if during all this work some oil or other substance was spilt on
the manifold. It is now in the process of burning off, producing a
constant stream of smoke *external to the exhaust system*. Alternately, a
gasket sealing compound was used in assembly that is not rated for engine
temperatures, and it is burning off.

I really don't see how an exhaust leak could produce visible smoke in the
engine compartment and the cockpit, but not out of the tailpipe. Does it
*sound* like an exhaust leak? Usually you would get a staccato noise in
the engine compartment if there was a significant exhaust leak.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149