Re: double / single clutch

To: "Bill Schooler" <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: Re: double / single clutch
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:04:05 -0000
Hi Bill,

Sure have driven non-synch 'boxes, some with none anyway and others with no
synchro through wear.

Tell you what, let's clarify this-I'll outline what I do and see who
agrees/disagrees.

(a) Ordinary changes:
Up...2nd.,throttle off, clutch down,neutral, pause, 3rd., clutch up,
throttle down.
Down...3rd., throttle off, clutch down, neutral, increase revs to match
speeds, 2nd., clutch up, throttle down.

(b) Double declutch down for a good synchro box:
3rd., throttle off, clutch down, neutral, clutch up and blip throttle,
clutch down, 2nd., clutch up, throttle down.

(c) Double declutch both ways for non-synch/bad synch 'box.
Up...2nd., throttle off, clutch down, neutral, clutch up (no blip), clutch
down, 2nd., clutch up, throttle down.
Down...3rd., throttle off, clutch down, neutral, clutch up and blip
throttle, clutch down, 2nd., clutch up, throttle down.

Course, if you can do (b) smoothly whilst braking, you're getting good. Rex
the BGT has a Paddy Hopkirk throttle pedal extension to allow easier heeling
and toeing like this.

Regards,

Dave H.