Re: can't remove the brake piston

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: can't remove the brake piston
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:09:04 EST
I rebuilt my calipers last spring, and I have done this previously in other
cars.  I made a thin piece of plywood that fits over a piston.  I hold it in
place with a c-clamp.  I used a rubber washer on the end of the air nozzle
and pressed it against the hole where the brake hose attaches.  A quick push
on the trigger and the loose piston moves out.  I put a shop rag on top of
the loose piston in case it pops all the way out of the cylinder.  It won't
go far because the other side of the caliper is in the way.  If you happen to
have a finger stuck in between the two pistons when you add the air, shame on
you.  Expect a very sore finger, probably broken.

For the second side, you can put the properly sized piece of plywood over the
open cylinder and clamp it down.  This should be tight enough for the air to
do it's work.  Then put in the shop rag and apply air.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport