Re: early B's and air vents in the dash?

To: "Andrew Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: early B's and air vents in the dash?
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:58:40 -0000
Hi, Tim.

Info courtesy of my '72 GT.

> >1/ Is the radio hole (pre 71) and the vent hole (post 71) the same size?

Each vent is 2.1/8" high x 3.11/32" wide (measurements of single vent body,
1/8" wide flange all round stops the vents falling thru the hole) x 4.1/8"
deep, from the dash side of the flange to the vent tube edge at the front.

> >2/ Would a pair of vents from a post 71 car just clip into the radio hole
of
> >a pre 71?

See above.

> >3/ If so, where do the flexible tubes lead to ? (the parts catalogue
shows
> >the vents and the flexi tubes, but not where they come from)

They go from the vent to holes in the rear wall of the bulkhead, which
comunicate with the heater plenum chamber. They go from square section to
round and *should* incorporate a plastic grille to catch bugs, leaves,
cyclists, etc. I've left these out of mine becuase I have a mesh on the
plenum inlet anyway.

> >4/ Anyone done this?

Not me!

> >5/ Any other caveats anyone can think of?

In chilly UK, the vents don't close off completely, causing a draught.
The 'vanes' in old vents go sloppy so they rattle like mad; the vents also
rattle in the hole in the dash. This is why I just changed mine for a good,
used pair.

Hope this is useful to you.

Dave Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html