Re: Carbs and radiator

To: Gonaj@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carbs and radiator
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:34:46 EST
In a message dated 2/9/00 10:07:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, Gonaj@aol.com
writes:

<< I've seen a couple of replys to your origional question and want to ad a
 caution.  Someone said that water is the best coolant; not so, use a proper
 50/50 solution of antifreeze.  It will offer better cooling and protect your
 system from corrosion.  This should be changed at least every 3 years for
the
 same reason. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think you'll hear from others on this point.  Actually water is the best
coolant.  It transfers heat better than a water/antifreeze mix.  Antifreeze
is necessary if you live in a climate that is prone to freezing.  Antifreeze
contains rust inhibitors that water lacks, but you can buy rust inhibitors,
such as Water Wetter, separetely and still use mostly water as a coolant.
Change water-only coolant every year, water/antifreeze every two years.  Some
new antifreeze types can go longer, but it is your car!  I'd rather change it
frequently and flush out any contaminents.

Racing engines use plain water because it cools more efficiently than
antifreeze.  Check the Red Line web site, www.redlineoil.com, and read about
Water Wetter.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward