Removing the motor - MGA

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing the motor - MGA
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:34:42 +1100
Hi all,

I'm currently in my first attempt to remove the motor and gearbox in my MGA
to check out where the clonking is coming from. Suspected broken crankshaft.
The only other time we had this motor out, I helped and we did it by lifting
it out with ropes and a beam - leaving the box in the car.

According to the workshop manual I have to remove the seats and the floors
and the handbrake handle! Is that really necessary? It seems to be, to be
able to get at the propshaft, gearbox end. So far I have removed the seats,
and will take out the floors tomorrow but I'd like to hear some comments
from people on this topic. The interior is so trashed, I might take this
opportunity to renew it anyway. The floors also look like they need sealing
and painting as they aren't black. The DPO had installed plastic bags under
the seats in some attempt to keep water off the wood. All it did was make
the seat frames rust. Arrggh!! I thought I was doing the motor here!!?!!?
<G>

Any hints on the above would be well appreciated. The MGB was much easier
than this!!! :) Nothing like a challenge, I just wish it wasn't so hot
today!

Cheers,
Neil
--