Re: brake flush or rebuild?

To: "Bart Niswonger" <bart@cs.washington.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake flush or rebuild?
From: "T. Keith Vezina" <tkvezina@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:25:20 -0600
Definately rebuild the rear also.  If you've got gunk in the front, I'll bet
it's also in the rear.  You should also consider replacing the rubber brake
lines.

I've always used a fresh, unopened can of brake fluid for flushing the
system.  A quality DOT3 like Castrol LMA is fine.  DOT4 is also compatable
with DOT3.  It has a higher boiling point and absorbs less moisture, but it
is MUCH more hazardous to paint.

My experience with DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid is limited, but all bad.  Two
weeks after I changed over to DOT5, I was picking pieces of master cylinder
seals out of my front calipers!