brake flush or rebuild?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: brake flush or rebuild?
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:53:15 -0800
Howdy -- I am in the process of fixing up the brakes on my 74 1/2 RBB.
Nothing was seriously wrong, just getting ready for a long trip.  This
is my first time going through this process, and I have some
questions.

I was planning on replacing all the rubber hoses, rebuilding the front
calipers and replacing pads & rotors, i.e. leaving the back alone.

When I opened up the calipers I found about a 1/4 inch of gunk in the
bottom.  Is this normal?

Given that there is gunk in the calipers, it seems reasonable that
there is gunk in the MC, in the lines, and in rear brakes.  Should I
rebuild them too?  How can I flush the lines?  What should I flush
them with?

I really appreciate all the sage advice that flows on this list.
Brakes are a popular topic, with many differing opinions, which is
what I think is really valuable - so many voices.  I haven't seen
anything to answer my questions exactly, and I am hoping I can spur a
bit of a debate from you!