Re: brake flush or rebuild?

To: wcameyer@email.msn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake flush or rebuild?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:02:08 EST
In a message dated 2/22/00 11:05:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wcameyer@email.msn.com writes:

<< Eight years ago, I replaced the brake fluid in my daily driver, a '77 B
 rdstr, with DOT 5.  I merely added the Dot 5 until it had pushed out all the
 old fluid.  Since then, approx. 50-60K miles, I've had to do nothing to the
 system except add a little three times. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To be on the safe side, most books I've read recommend that you flush the
brake system every year to three years.  You have been lucky that any water
present in the fluid hasn't caused any problems, because silicone WILL NOT
allow water to dissolve in it.  The water will pool at the low points in the
brake lines.

Earlier cars have a brake light switch in the hydraulic line.  Silicone brake
fluid will probably destroy this switch, and Lockheed will not replace it
under warranty if silicone fluid was used.  Your car is a later model with
the brake light switch mounted at the pedal, so this isn't a problem.

I would still recommend that you replace your brake fluid.  If you have used
DOT 5 for that long, just use it again.  Your seals will not require changing.

BTW, there is also a DOT 5.1 brake fluid which is NOT silicone.  It is
actually a higher temp DOT 4 fluid.  And Valvoline makes a synthetic brake
fluid under the Syntec name that is similar to DOT 4 and fine to use in LBCs.

Just my 2 cents.  "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!"

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport