Re: brake flush or rebuild?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake flush or rebuild?
From: "danray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:16:33 -0500
I would definitely second the motion of rebuilding the rears, MC and flex
lines at a minimum while you're at it. The rear cylinders are cheap and you
might as well replace the shoes/springs and check the drums too.
Murphy dictates that once you have things back together you'll find your MC
has suddenly decided to spring a leak. The more you can do at once, the more
certain you'll be when you start squirting that fluid into a jar. (or
whatever method you choose)
The reason for checking/replacing the clutch MC is they are simple and
inexpensive, and I haven't found a way of replacing the clutch MC without
having to re-bleed the system -- plus it's a bear to get at and you want to
dig around in that corner of the engine bay as few times as possible! (I
also haven't figured out how not to get brake fluid all over the place.)
Also, the "vets" will tell you, if you want to do the M/C, go all the way
and contact White Post Restorations at (540) 837-1140. It's pretty steep,
but you'll never have to buy another M/C and you'll be certain it works. (no
financial interest, blah blah). And of course, those of us who do "have the
T-shirt" know you'll be determined to go cheap and learn the hard way (I
know, I did it myself and Punkin sat for entirely too long).
Just my $.02.

Dan
73 B