Re: no-LBC content: gas prices, a rant, and an idea and now, more of

To: dmeadow@juno.com, DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com
Subject: Re: no-LBC content: gas prices, a rant, and an idea and now, more of
From: Gonaj@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:08:09 EST
I have been trying to resist getting into this SUV debate but I now take up
the soap box.
Let's look at how we got here.
In an effort to reduce our dependence on foreign oil the US gov. has
instituted many laws requiring the automakers to achieve certain fuel
economies.  This necessarily has resulted in smaller lighter cars.  Now along
comes the CAFE std. and we see a disparity of large and small cars/trucks on
the roads.
Just think of the safety factor if we had seat belts, side impact door beams,
air bags, energy absorbing inner panels, anti-submarining seats, etc. built
into a 1955 Mercury.  Essentially a padded cell on wheels.
Now the government in it's infinite idiocy wants to resolve the problem by
making SUVs/trucks less safe rather than adding safety to the cars.
Washington AKA "The Logic Free Zone"

You can have the soap box back now.

George