Re: New York Times MG article

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: New York Times MG article
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:47:33 -0500
> > She could walk in the testing place and get her license today, but I
will
> > no let her. Driving is NOT her right. It is a privilege and she can earn
> > it with more practice. And proof that she will be a safe defensive
driver
> > on the road outside the apt complex we live in.

That's what my mother felt also, and I did agree.  I got my licence a few
months after I turned 17 (a year and some months after I could have gotten
it).  And I still managed to crash my TR-6 four days after getting my
licence.

> She couldn't possible have any parallel parking difficulties with the
Midget
> now, could she?  I wonder what the obnoxious testing clerks will say
> when they are forced to get in for the road evaluation?

Actually!  Parallel parking is a major hassle... I took the test in my TR-6,
which has a wretched rotoflex coupling rather than a U-joint connecting the
steer coulumn shafts... it was okay, and then I had the parallel parking
portion of my driving exam in which it gave out.  I fail.  Replaced and
passed.  I failed the very first time because the instructor (who is not a
state inspection person) felt the front blinkers on my TR-6 were too dim, I
had good reason to run him over.  The next time, I had a different
instructor who made me stop the exam half way through because I had no
emission's sticker... and after 15 minutes of arguing and calling various
state agencies they confirmed that I indeed do not need it for 1974 vehicle,
which is exactly what I told them.

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR-6