Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design

To: twobees@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:31:55 -0400
Norm,
  When I bought it, my GT had an alternate rig that worked well.  Being a
semi-stickler for originality, I reverted to the OEM type that, in truth,
does not work as well.
  Attached to the block where the valve attaches was what I  ...think....
  was a water pipe from the back of later MGB heads. It had a metal
casting to which was attached a tube with a 90 degree bend.  To that was
attached 2-3 inches rubber tube, an in-line shutoff valve, then more
rubber tube to the heater.  The heater control cable was hooked to the
lever on the valve.
  Let me know if this interests you enough so that I should go out and
rummage in the culch of cast-off MGB parts.
  Some issues back, MGB driver had an article on improving the operation
of the OEM valve. The writer felt that years of production on old dies
had lead to tolerances that were intolerable. He discussed their
rectification. If you can't find the issue, let me know and I'll go
through my back issues.
Bob