Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design

To: twobees@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: MGB Heater Water Control Valve - Bad Engineering and Design
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:08:23 -0500

On Wed, 10 May 2000 19:43:05 -0400 "N" <twobees@sprynet.com> writes:

> What kind of thinking was it that placed a part prone to failure
> that
> contains liquid coolant directly over the source of electrical
> energy to
> make our cars run?  It was truly diabolical!

Actually I always thought this was extremely clever.  If the thing starts
leaking it will drip on the distributor causing a misfire.  The misfire
will make you pull off the road before enough coolant leaks out to cause
overheating.  Brilliant!!

> Anyone on the list ever try an alternative setup?  Perhaps a valve
> from some
> other car that is less prone to failure?  Maybe a deplumed line to
> the
> heater?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I can guaranty that your heater valve will never fail again.  Just buy
the blanking plate that Moss sells for a few bucks and put it in the car.
 If it does fail you can quickly install the plate and be on your merry
way.  Of course, we all know that any part that you are carrying is never
the part that fails, so you should never have another problem with a
heater valve.  I had a heater valve fail on me a few years ago and I've
been carrying a blanking plate ever since.  Voila! No more problems!  In
any case, a blanking plate is much less expensive and bulky that a spare
valve.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII