Head Gasket? Valves? Rings?

To: "Larry" <lst824@earthlink.net>, "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>,
Subject: Head Gasket? Valves? Rings?
From: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:38:34 -0700
Help[!

Rebuilt my '77's engine a year ago.  Have been having some running problems
lately - rough idle, etc., but seems OK, though maybe a bit weak at higher
revs

Pulled the plugs, which I replaced a few weeks ago:  #1&2 - white, clean as
new.  #3 - black, oil fouled    #4 - tan.

Checked compression - #1 - 133,  #2 - 136  #3 - zero to five, #4 - 129.  No
appreciable change when I squirted a bit of oil into #3.

Valve adjustment a bit tight on #3, but re-adjusting did not affect
compression.

OK - What's wrong :  gasket, valve, rings,  and how do I determine which it
is??

Need help,
Bill