Re: Octain booster and compression ratios

To: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octain booster and compression ratios
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:59:05 -0600
At 03:22 PM 5/23/00 -0700, DENNIS COX wrote:
>I didn't mean to open a can of worm with my original post here.  My
>purpose was to
>hear fellow owners experances with using octain boosters and there fixes
>for this
>problem.  My engine is far from stock.......

This thread has wandered a ways off topic on some of the recent posts. But
so far, this "can of worm(s)" is nothing compared to illustrious topics
like cats, drive shaft/towing, batteries on concrete floors, and others
that we have suffered through over the past several years on this list.

However as some have mentioned, if your car is not pinging or dieseling,
you are just wasting your money on octane boosters or other octane fixes.
If you do have those symptoms, you can try adjusting your timing first
before you try increasing your octane. And like James Sr. says, using AvGas
is not altogether legal. You have to get your gas in a can from a
sympathetic distributer. They will most assuredly not put it direct into
your car's tank.

As a chemist, I used to mix my own octane boosters. And I did see a very
mild increase in performance and decrease in gas usage,  easy to tell when
I had a 104 mile round trip commute every day. When I could get my
chemicals cheap, there was some benefit. But the savings in gas mileage was
not even close enough to justify the additional 10-15 cents per gallon that
the octane increase cost at the pump to go from 87 octane to 92.

So in short, unless there is an obvious problem, don't worry about it. Or
at least that is how I see it.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT