RE: wierdest starting problem. help!

To: "'Bullwinkle '" <yd3@nvc.net>,
Subject: RE: wierdest starting problem. help!
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 21:39:20 -0700
Hi mysterious stranger ;-)

And thanks to everyone else who responded

thanks. This is also what i figured. I went back out ther this evening. he
wouldn't start, and this time the fuel filter was empty. I immediately
suspected the pump, so i took the cover off and cleaned the connector. The
aerth connector is missing, and the pump preseumably grounded via the body.
I have had fuel pump problems before, which gain cleared up mysteriously
with a little connector jiggling. I suspect i should put a proper ground
connection on there before i get on the freeway to drive home!

Anyway, this got the pump working, and the car started up first time.

However the pump can't be the whole problem, because when it failed to start
earlier today, i actually checked for this fault, and saw fuel pumping into
the filter.

My best guess is a combination of a fuel pump problem, and either a vapour
lock or carb problem. I am definately unhappy about driving 140 miles back
home until i get this sorted. The 880 in oakland for instance would be a bad
place for your engine to die!

Any further ideas anyone?

You lot are great! thanks for all the advice within a couple of hours of my
posting the message.

cheers

Joe