Re: Squeak at downshift-Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Squeak at downshift-Reply
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:41:39 +0000
Scotty wrote:

> >Hmmm, I never felt that downshifting to use engine braking was a
> >good idea.
<snip>
> >And if you have to pay someone >else to do it, well, you could have
> >bought fifty cases of brake pads!
>
> The last line of Max's response is all the reasons I'd need.

But... it doesn't sound as good (especially if you can get a decent POP,
CRACKLE and GURGLE happening).

and

it seems a little rougher on the car if you have to slam your foot down
on the accelerator again after letting the car idle down just using the
brakes (I hate driving automatics for a similar reason).

I feel it gives me more 'control' - knowing where the car is in the
rev/gear range for taking off again if I have to before completing the
braking.

Yeah... I think it comes down to the MUCH MORE FUN idea.  And hell, we
are going to spend money on these cars anyway so why smimp on the odd
gearbox or so (I hate the fact that I still can't heel/toe properly).

Oh yeah, becuase I can't heel/toe properly, I lift the clutch briefly
when HARD braking to give me a rev so I can crunch her into 2nd - with
as little of the CRUNCH as possible.

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS I think every 2nd line of the above is tongue in cheek.  You choose
the lines that you prefer.