Re: Car accident

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car accident
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 09:41:43 -0500
My '69 B was rear-ended recently and totalled. I wasn't damaged and neither
was the uninsured idiot who hit me (a failure of Darwinian theory). I keep
liablilty and uninsured drivers on my policy, not comprehensive. I've
always figured that If I don't have a wreck but every five years, I can buy
a new B with the savings.

When I first talked to the adjustor (before he looked at the car), I asked
him how his figures were arrived at. He said he would be sending an
APPRAISER to look at the car instead of coming himself, that doing so would
give him a better idea of what the car was worth before the crash. Then he
would get two or three estimates from dealers in the area, or failing that,
check local want ads. He said salvage rights would be discounted at a rate
of 25% under normal conditions.

He initially offered me $5900 without and $4770 with salvage rights and had
cut the salvage discount to 20%. I accepted. After looking for another
chromecar for a week or so I came back to him and told him that I was not
finding any cars in my area (Nashville, TN), but was finding a lot of cars
in Georgia and Alabama, and that due to incurred travel costs, I wanted him
to up the ante and keep salvage rights. He mumbled a little bit, but
brought up the keep-the-car figure to an even $5000. I was able to find a
'good' condition (looked great, drove poorly) '67 for $3600 and use the
rest of the money for parts to bring it up to mechanical par along with
parts from the '69.

Keep at it. Ask them how they're coming to their figures. Call other
companies and ask them. If there's a difference, find out why and don't be
afraid to confront State Farm. If your car was worth $5000 and they offered
you $800 then there's something wrong and you have to find out what because
they aren't going to tell you. Keep the lawyers till last and you would be
better off going after State Farm, IMHO. They have more money and, if
judgement is against them, will be a lot more likely to pay up.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
schnittke@mindspring.com
Home: 615-385-2800