Re: Tube shock conversion data

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion data
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:42:46 -0700
Peter:
Thanks for the response. I appreciate you not wanting to inject a commercial
into the list but I think these ideas are worth of being shared. I hope you
don't mind.

My worry is that the tube shocks may actually do more harm than good. The
suspension was specifically designed with the geometry that it has. And it
was designed with the attributes of the lever type shock absorbing system.
To do changes to this designed-in geometry with no engineering principles
because you have heard that it might increase the performance of your car
(or because it might improve the ride slightly) seems just risky to me.
Especially since the suspension is actually a part of the "safety equipment"
of the car. What if the poorly engineered shock mount breaks when you are
maneuvering out of the way of that big SUV? Who is responsible for that
design?

Now if someone has actually engineered a new tube shock system, and
published the test data, so that the data can be confirmed, that is
different. But I would look for not only slalom track data, but also for
ride quality information. Like if the ride is stiffer, by how much? The test
equipment would probably need to be an accelerometer for this test. A lower
cost way to test would be to drive a marked-off section of bumpy road at a
fixed speed limit and see how much coffee was spilled out of a cup sitting
on the passenger floor.

Any way I am not really planning on doing a comparison test between the two
shock types, because I am actually happy with the way by MG handles now. But
when I turn attention to the suspension, and ask the question, "shall I
rebuild by lever shocks?" or, "should I do the shock conversion", I would
like to have the most educated answer. Is there a well designed AND
documented conversion on the market?

Thanks for the offer. Maybe someone else on the list wants to do the
conversion and publish real performance data???

Heck, come to think of it I am not so sure about the V8 upgrade <smile>.
Maybe I can get a free sample to test?

Tim Economu
'69 MGBGT with a little ole 1.8 liter four and lever shocks