Re: Fw: Tube shock conversion data

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Tube shock conversion data
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:41:15 -0700
Actually, the feature of lever shocks which I always found dubious was
their mechanical "dis-advantage", so to speak. On the long end of the
lever you have the weight of the car, and all the forces acting upon it.
On the short end you have this tiny little valve body. The forces on the
valve body as amplified by the long lever arm must be enormous.
Conversely, any action produced by the valve body (i.e. damping) is at an
enormous mechanical disadvantage vis-a-vis the rest of the car. In
comparison, the forces on the tube shock are operating "straight through"
the axis (or slightly deflected if it is not mounted absolutely
perpendicularly), with no leverage advantage either way. This probably
enables lower internal hydraulic pressures, which would explain why leaky
tube shocks are rare, but leaky lever shocks are normal. But it also
suggests that tube shocks, with longer travel and lower pressures, could
be designed to have more subtle, even non-linear, damping action.

All of the above is pure speculation, of course... <g>

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149