RE: Wire wheel rear end

To: "Aston List" <aml-lovers@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: Wire wheel rear end
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:58:31 -0700
Last weekend I fixed two broken spokes on a chrome wire wheel on my B.
They had been broken for quite a while -- I had just rotated the wheel to
the rear and ignored them. I deflated the tire and tried breaking the
bead loose from the rim but got nowhere. I rather thought I had done this
before, perhaps I'm getting too feeble in my old age <g>. So I took the
wheel to a nearby tire shop and had them break it loose, but not dismount
it entirely. I just squished the tire to one side to get at the back of
the nipples. The nipples were covered with a band of thick rubber
adhesive tape -- rather than unwrap everything I just slit it in two
places. Later I patched the slits with heavy duct tape. I also dabbed
some silicone sealer on the spoke heads inside the hub.

When I had the new spokes in and properly tight using the "xylophone"
test, I took the wheel back to the shop for remounting and refilling. I
probably could have done the whole job in the tire shop parking lot and
saved the trips to and fro. They didn't charge anything so the entire
cost for the job was two spokes and nipples from my Moss supplier. Much
cheaper than a complete rebuild and true-up! I wouldn't recommend this
approach for refurbishing a "junk" wheel (one of unknown balance and
trueness), but I, at least, tend to get broken spokes at a rate of two or
three every two years or so. Without this bit of DIY I'd have paid for 2
or 3 new sets of wheels by now.

BTW I am inclined to agree with those who have suggested that the chrome
spokes are more brittle than the painted ones. The new ones I installed
seemed to be polished stainless, which I am hoping will prove tougher in
use. Only 238 more to go!

Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim