Re: Fastest in the west

To: transmancat@bbnow.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fastest in the west
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:48:38 EDT
In a message dated 2000-06-21 7:27:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
transmancat@bbnow.net writes:

<< My original question was what is the fastest speed ever attained by a 4 pot
 non streamlined MGB, so far the highest seems to be 131 mph,  >>

Nope, that one was streamlined - it had a special nose cone attached.
You might actually find that a late RB car was more aerodynamically slippery
than an early car. I remember talking to Joe Huffaker about it once while
looking at Visger's car, but the details are lost in the mists of time.

My MGC will do an honest 130 with around 175 bhp (a bit of a stretch for a 4
cylinder engine) if that gives you any idea, and that is with longer gears,
as you would use in a B built for top speed.

I seem to recall a Twincam MGA that some guy put a 4 cylinder Ferrari engine
into and headed for Bonneville - he turned in the 160-170 region, which I
always thought was damned good, with stock bodywork, even with such a motor.

Bill